- Commonwealth Bureau of Meteorology - for weather forecasts, weather maps and charts, radar images, satellite images (cloud cover), and current and historic climate data
- National Tidal Centre - for tide forecasts, and historic tide gauge and sea level data
- Geoscience Australia - for marine bathymetry and marine geological data, also placenames and topographic maps of Australia, petroleum / oil and gas data, seabed mapping, marine boundaries, marine geophysical data, etc.
- Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) - conducting marine biological research on the Great Barrier Reef, also in northern and western Australia waters (especially coral reef environments)
- Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) - conducting all kinds of scientific research in Australia's Antarctic marine territories and offshore islands, and the waters that surround them. Datasets described in their SnoWhite Pages metadata directory, also via the ASDD.
- Australian Hydrographic Service (AHS) - responsible for production of navigational charts of coastal waterways around Australia. Datasets described in their product metadata list, also via the ASDD.
- Australian Navy Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) - includes online sea surface temperature and salinity data, access to historic data collected by RAN research vessels, and online provision of global bathymetry data from the GEBCO Digital Atlas, and oceanographic data from the NODC World Ocean Atlas 2001. Datasets described in their MEDI metadata directory, some also via the ASDD.
- National Oceans Office - responsible for implementing Australia's Oceans Policy; compiles marine data from primary sources for use in regional marine planning. Datasets described in their Neptune metadata directory, also via the ASDD.
- Commercial fishery (catch) data: managed at Commonwealth level by Australian Fisheries Management Agency (AFMA), and at state level by relevant state fishery agencies in New South Wales, Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, and Western Australia, although some or much of the data may not be publicly releasable.
- Species distribution (museum/herbarium specimen) data: available for marine and terrestrial plants via Australia's Virtual Herbarium (AVH), and for marine and terrestrial animals via OZCAM (Online Zoological Collections of Australian Museums) - AVH is publicly accessible, OZCAM plans to be available for public searches shortly.
Return to Data Centre Home Page